After a long time, we finally shipped a new version of Notepadqq.
This version contains a lot of fixes and improvements, thanks to the work of the awesome guys who contributed to the GitHub repo.
The list of changes is big; these are the main ones:
* allow banners to stretch horizontally and vertically (#349)
* Preferences menu now has an "Apply" button in addition to "Ok" and "Cancel". That way users can immediately see visual changes (like themes) without having to exit the menu all the time.
* The Shortcuts tab now has a "Reset Selected Shortcut" in addition to the "Reset All Shortcut" button.
* The Preferences menu remembers the last selected settings tab and will automatically switch to it when re-opened (this is not a saved setting. Only implemented as a static variable).
* Turned the "File Format" and "Encoding" labels in the status bar into ClickableLabels. When clicked, they open the Format/Encoding QMenu that is also used in Nqq's menu bar.
* File encoding in the status bar wasn't properly updated. Fixed that by calling updateEditorUiInfo() when switching encoding.
* Added menu shortcuts for accessibility
* l10n: add Slovenian translation (#352)
* sessions: during session load, show BannerFileRemoved when the file is missing (#353)
* preferences: fix theme loading glitch (closes #246) (#356)
* UI: disable "reload" actions if no file to reload exists (#354)
* Update notepadqq launcher (fedora) (#366)
* Support Qt 5.8 and 5.9 (#376)
* fix: user was not allowed to exit Nqq if session.xml couldn't be saved
* Title bar has wrong tab title after launch (fixes #421) (#422)
* Warn about missing icons; fix potential crash
* %directory% in run command. (#434)
* Fix segfault on start (fixes #440)
* Open folder contents if a folder is dropped onto Nqq. (#455)
* add handel-c language (#443)
* Apply group replacement across the entire matched string.
* Fixed "^F Find ENTER does not search for the currently selected text" #417. (#468)
* Convert text to path in svg logo (#477)
* Added a "Retry as Root" to Nqq's save dialog. (#480)
* Keep file names of deleted files when loading a session. Otherwise they just show up as 'new X'. (#483)
* Don't load tabs from session that don't exist and aren't cached since they're just empty. (#484)
* Prompt user when opening a file from recent history that does not exist anymore. Fixes #248.
* Remember "Enable Smart Indent" setting #488 (#492)
Version 1.0 has been released!
This release brings a lot of improvements and interesting features, like sessions and a customizable run menu.
Many thanks to the people who worked to make this release possible:
David Geiger and Adrien Daugabel
After too much time, we finally have a nice, good-looking icon :)
I would like to thank all the people that gave help for this new icon: their ideas, suggestions and improvements have been extremely valuable.
Now, some pictures about the evolution of the logo:
This was the first icon (2010). Please don’t say a word.
Luckily, the first icon has not been around for long. This was the second icon for Notepadqq.
The third version has some improvements (made with Federico), but maintains the same style. The paper has been enlarged, a corner has been folded, and the pencil is now shorter.
And finally we have the current version. The style has been completely revisited thanks to the help of Sara, Diego and Federico.
And this is an early draft of the new icon (by Sara). Enjoy!
Support for extensions is finally ready!
You can already find a preliminary API reference and a tutorial on how to write an extension.
But remember: It’s still an alpha feature! A lot of methods are missing in the API, so suggestions about methods you need are welcome (here).
The focus of the next Notepadqq version has been the “Search In Files” feature. Here are some screenshots from the development version:
The main window after searching in files. The “Find result” area is detachable, or can be docked to any side of the window.
Since Notepaddqq 0.39.0, there have been some noticeable things we’ve been working on.
Language hints have been introduced: you can now hit Ctrl + Space to open a contextual menu with suggestions from your current code and your current language:
And if you’re editing a plain text file, you can still get suggestions for all the words contained within the document.
But the main focus of this release was on proper single-instance behavior. When you right-click a file in your file manager, and you choose to open it with Notepadqq, it will be attached to the last used window, if it exists.
In addition, a lot of improvements were made to the Debian package. For example, on some distributions Qt can’t detect the correct system gtk style. On those distributions, you can force Qt to use gtk by installing the new notepadqq-gtk package.
This is a video showing some basic features of Notepadqq 0.30.3 (you can get it from the ppa).
As you can see, the performance of this build is comparable to that of the qscintilla version. But there’s still room for improvements.
Right now, Notepadqq is using CodeMirror 4.5. QtWebView is behaving well, and the switch to QtWebEngine could at least be delayed. We’ll see as soon as Qt 5.4 comes out.
A prebuilt Notepadqq package (experimental codemirror version) is available at https://sourceforge.net/projects/notepadqq/files/